We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Counting Our Blessings

The doctor saw me yesterday and after reviewing my labs and cultures, determined the mastitis is a staph infection and have found the right antibiotics to kill it. He said the earliest I would go home is Thursday. At first I was depressed, because that is 10 nights that I will have spent away from my baby girl........and she is only one month old. I am trying to focus on our blessings.
Blessings:
1. I was able to get in with an excellent infectious disease doctor. He changed up all of my iv antibiotics to what Clint calls "the big bazooka" (Daptomycin)
2. Because the antibiotics are strong and small veins don't tolerate them well, they put in a PICC line. It is basically a catheter in my arm so they give me all of my antibiotics directly to larger veins and draw blood from it. It was a little surgical procedure and is painful today, but makes receiving IV drugs so much easier.
3. We had some great support yesterday, which was critical on such a hard day. My verse for the day that I repeated was "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil 4:13)
4. My mom flew in to be with me and my Aunt Mary spent the day with us.
5. I got moved to this much larger private suite......Thank you to friends and family for brightening up my room with flowers.
6. Clint is such a good husband and dad.
After reading all those answered prayers and blessings, 4 days in this room doesn't sound so bad.
Please pray for:
1. Wisdom for the doctors
2. Patience and understanding for the nurses
3. Sleep, Rest and Peace
4. Clint & Ava

8 comments:

His Doorkeeper said...

Oh Sweet Gina, I just now read your comment on my blog! Bless your heart....this is a terrible thing for a new mommy! We have a young mother in our church who the very same thing happen to her right after she got home with the new baby. She got over it just fine but it was a terrible experience for her.

I see that you have a great support system going there and that is so important! But your greatest strength comes from the Lord Himself who tells us in Joshua 1 to "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be WITH YOU wherever you go."

I am praying for your healing and for you to get home soon to that wonderful husband and that precious new baby girl!

Kelly's Mom, Judy

Rusty and Jennifer said...

I know the idea of four more days away from home and sweet Ava is extremely discouraging, but you have such a great attitude! Know that we continue to pray. And again, PLEASE do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything at all that I can do to help during this time. I will be in the Woodlands on Mon., Tues., and Wed. of this week!
jwoolley513@me.com

Anonymous said...

Gina~ I am that new mommy Judy is talking about. She told me about your situation tonight at church and I just had to tell you that this, too, shall pass.
I had difficulties breastfeeding right away and got mastitis within the 2nd week and the day before Landon was 5 weeks I had to go to the emergency room because I had it again and I was in so much pain. It turns out they checked me in and I didn't get to leave for 6 days :( They started giving me vancomycin & they had to drain my breast. I was scared but I knew it would feel so much better after & IT DID!!! My case was MRSA which is the staph that is only killed by just a few antibiotics.
Now I got out on Feb.6th and I had to have home health for an entire month. They had to come twice a day to re-pack the incision since it had to heal from the inside out. It got a little annoying planning around them but I was just happy to be home with my family and happy I could hold Landon without being in pain. I asked the nurses if they had any other 25 year old home health clients and of course the answer was NO!
I know exactly how you are feeling and I want you to know that it will eventually be over and you'll be home holding little Ava.
Landon is now 7 1/2 months old and we are all healthy now :) I did learn that I am not meant to breastfeed with any of my other children that I will have.
I'll have to keep up with your blog and I'll be praying for you and your family.

Lindsay Newton

Jami said...

Just think, you're more than halfway through. 6 down, 4 to go. So, it is not mastitis or it is and also a staph infection? Either way, I'm glad they figured it out and have gotten the best meds to help you get better. Try to rest so you can spend non stop time with Ava when you get home!

Anonymous said...

Gina..
Ava is one true beauty!!! I know 4 more days in this place seems like forever... Especially when you are feeling better. Well I am happy that you were here today because I have had the chance to meet such a beautiful person. Keep your faith and God will have you home to Ava and Clint in no time...

Praying with you and for you,
Your Nurse,
Sylvida

Jacquie Von Hohn said...

Gina,

We love you and are praying for you! It will all be over before you know it! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

Alissa said...

Oh my goodness.....I am so sorry you're going through that. I had no idea mastitis could turn into something like this....you are in my prayers this week. Take care of yourself.....I will check back for updates.

Anonymous said...

Gina,
I have been praying for you, Clint and the medical staff. Now that the meds are right, you are on your way to healing...Thank God for that!
There is a reason for all things and you have no idea whose life you have touched while in the hospital and an inspiration you've been to others. Be thankful for all things because God is using you in great and mighty ways even when it is painful. He will carry you through!

Love ya,
Rita