We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

Friday, July 3, 2009

Our Labor & Delivery

I am writing this 3 days later, but want to document the details of the day Ava was born.

My doctor had decided a week before to induce me on July 3rd, because I had been 80% effaced and less than 1 cm for 3 weeks. She was afraid my body was not going to dilate on its own and felt like the amniotic fluid levels would be better on the 3rd than waiting two more weeks. I was thrilled with the idea of getting to have my baby here and no longer being uncomfortably pregnant. She told us to call at 5 AM on Friday and they should be able to get us right in for an early morning induction.

So, I did not sleep well that night........knowing my baby would be arriving the next morning. I was up and called at 5:03 to be told that the delivery rooms were all full and the hospital was a zoo and they couldn't induce me, but would call me later. I was so disappointed, but figured it would only be a couple of hours. I was not allowed to eat anything, so by 10 AM, I was quite hungry and tired and worried that July 3rd was no longer going to be the big day. I called the hospital and they said my doctor had already been inquiring about when they could get me in and that she wanted me to hold on because they were for sure going to get me in at some point. So, I waited and waited. We went on a 45 minute walk around the neighborhood and even went swimming to try to get the little girl to come on her own. Finally, I decided to shower and do my make up in hopes they would call soon. Sure enough, at 1:40, the nurse called and said, we are ready for you to come have your baby.
We jumped in the car and headed to Texas Women's Hospital. We arrived at 2:25 and were put in a room immediately. They got me changed and started on a fluid IV. One of the worst parts of the day was the IV would not go in the side of my hand because my vein kept rolling. So after too much digging with the needle, the nurse gave up and put it in the front of my hand. At that point, I was getting scared that I was in for a really long day. They started my Pitocin to get my contractions going. My doctor had said as soon as it got really painful to get the epidural, so she could help dilate me and break my water. The first few hours were just uncomfortable, but by 5 I was in quite a bit of pain. I endured about one hour of very painful contractions at about 2 minutes apart and I cried Annie and asked for my epidural.
Once they had the epidural in, I was relieved of pain within 20 minutes. Epidurals are amazing!!!
At 9pm I was 10 cm, 100% effaced and ready to push. The nurse got the room ready and had me push and after 3 pushes said, "Stop! I've got to call the doctor. She is coming!" Dr. Leeds-Richter came in and in two pushes, Ava Catherine was here. It was such an easy delivery and the doctor said I was a rock star.

It was the most amazing thing to see Ava. She was just the prettiest little thing with a full head of dark hair and blue eyes. They laid her on my chest for a few minutes, but quickly had to take her to get her breathing. It was a little scary for a minute, but they quickly got her suctioned and back into my arms. The pediatrician said she is "perfect".......we are so blessed!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Aww, I was wondering about all those details... I kept thinking about you that day and was feeling frustrated that I didn't know what stage you were going through at certain times. I'm so glad things went so smoothly... Gives me great hope for delivering my own in just a few weeks!

Leah said...

Yay! Thanks for sharing. She is beautiful!